Monday, March 25, 2013

Knowing my luck, if reincarnation exists, I'll come back as me


'Knowing my luck, if reincarnation exists, I'll come back as me'
The great philosopher - Rodney Trotter

As far as we are truly aware, we only have one go at this wonderful life.  One chance and opportunity to do as much as we possibly can, to leave a legacy.  Do you feel as though you are living your life to the full ?  Are you achieving your potential ?



Don't be me ?

A recent event revealed some inner turmoil, the extent of which surprised me.  By and large I am known as an affable person, most would say easy going and very even tempered.  This veneer was completely blown away recently when I realised how much IBS had cost me.  I do not let this bother me on a day to day basis, but it was clearly buried inside.

As a youngster I loved playing sport, it was one of the few times I came alive.  I'd always had IBS, and it had always been a problem, however the IBS became exponentially worse when as a teenager I was prescribed antibiotics for a skin condition  (In hindsight, if my diet had been addressed, my skin would have been cured).  From the very beginning of the antibiotics I literally suffered diarrhea daily.  I could not concentrate in class, I could not go anywhere without having to stop for bathroom breaks, and I gave up my passion for playing sport.

At the time, I visited our Doctor on many occasions, and despite many unpleasant examinations no solution was found, instead codeine was prescribed.  These years of my life, prime years were lost.  I achieved nothing during the years that my IBS was ruling my life in its entirety.  I was ruled by IBS, I was defined by IBS.   No one in my family or friends knew just how bad it was, as it was a deeply embarrassing condition for a young person.



Angry outburst

The anger inside stemmed from the fact that I only have one life, and I'd allowed IBS to rob me of so many things I loved.   The nature of the condition, its embarrassing connotations saw me pent up an unpleasant level of emotion which had to manifest itself at some point.

If I allowed myself the time to wallow in this, life would fruitless, so I try not to, however when I think about the poor choices I made it sends me crazy to think that I have one go, one life, no rehearsal and I allowed IBS to dictate so much of it - don't be me.





Communicate

The first advice I would given, and have given on here is to communicate.  Having had a deep and meaningful conversation with my family I realised that they really did not know or understand how bad my symptoms were as they were not told.  I'd expected them to understand, however they could not when they received such little information from me.  People around you can only help when you show the courage to be brave and open up and be honest.






Change

It takes many years for us to understand our body, and if you have IBS it may takes year for you to truly understand what does and does not work with you.  What I will say though, is the sooner you start to make changes the sooner you will gain control of your life.  The advice on IBS is much better now than before.  Beware the internet and the quick fix claims, particularly if you have had IBS many years or were bequeathed it by your family.   There are not quick fixes for IBS sufferers, and it requires much sacrifice and restraint to make the changes that will open up your life.  You may have to give up some of the things you love, all I can say is that it will be worth it.







Pester

Do not take no for an answer.  Sadly many medical practitioners are a bit vague on IBS, or even dismissive.  If you are a severe sufferer, ensure that they know exactly how bad your symptoms are and how much of  an impact it is having on your life.





Not a victim

At this point, I must state that this is not the rant of someone who spends their days feeling self pity, it is the rant of someone who hopes to help others from making the same mistakes I made.  

Our website has been set up with that sole person.  If it helps one person enjoy a better life then it will have been worthwhile.  For more information visit:


Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.








No comments:

Post a Comment